June Dairy Month
Say Cheese and Smile!
June is a month with something to smile about because it is JUNE DAIRY MONTH!
Make your next family night into a… DAIRY TASTING EXTRAVAGANZA!
1. Our bodies need a minimum of three servings of dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt) each day to keep our bodies going strong.
2. A Dairy Tasting Extravaganza could be planned for a family night in, a special treat for yourself, or when you’re hosting a party. It’s sure to be a party conversation starter and keeper!
What to have:
1. A variety of cheeses cut up in cubes. Keep in mind, one serving of cheese is about the size of a domino.
2. Be sure to look for the Wisconsin label when purchasing your quality Wisconsin cheese. The logo features an arm holding a piece of cheese with the taglines: Wisconsin Cheese; Pride. Our Secret Ingredient.
3. Wisconsin boasts over 600 types, styles and varieties of cheese, so you have plenty to choose from!
4. Have toothpicks available for easy selection of the cheese by your guests.
5. Make sure to label each kind of cheese and where it was produced to stem good conversation.
6. For ideas to entertain with cheese and for a Cheesecyclopedia to decide what cheeses to select check out: http://www.wisdairy.com/AllAboutCheese/
1. Samples of different flavors of milk. Milk is available in a variety of flavors that include strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla.
2. If you have trouble finding different flavors or want to be extra creative, try creating your own flavors by mixing milk with various flavoring syrups, similar to those used to flavor coffee.
3. Have sampling cups available for guests.
4. For a little extra fun, do not label the flavors of milk and have guests guess what flavor they are.
5. Remember one serving of milk is 8 ounces
1. Have a variety of different styles of yogurt for tasting.
2. Feature a sampling of tasty fruits and have guests dip or mix their favorite fruits into the yogurt.
3. Craisins (dried cranberries which are a Wisconsin native fruit) would work well for this activity.
4. Try layering the yogurt in a glass bowl with alternating layers of granola and fresh fruits.
Be creative and challenge yourself to think of your own dairy tasting treats to feature at your own Dairy Tasting Extravaganza.
This activity would be especially great for educating kids about the importance of getting their three servings of dairy while experiencing just how good tasting and fun that can be!
Milk Color Swirl Activity
Dairy products are a part of a healthy, well-balanced diet. Make dairy products a part of your diet every day, not just during June. Check out our health benefits link to find out more about the health benefits of dairy.
MAKE EVERY MONTH A DAIRY MONTH WITH THESE GREAT ACTIVITIES !